LETTER FROM THE WARD MANAGER – ASH VILLA SLEAFORD

12th February2022  –  My Account of Events

“It is evil to keep her from seeing her Mother on her Birthday”

I drove for over an hour to visit my daughter on her Birthday.  Two hours leave had been granted by RC  HMS just to go into Sleaford but then I received calls from ZB (Carer’s Champion) advising me not to come but the day before my visit I had numerous text messages from Elizabeth instructing me on what Birthday cake she would like.   I had this made specially so I felt I ought to go even though I was told due to Covid I could not visit on the ward and this I did not challenge or act aggressively when advised.  I did feel as though it was never really the intention to allow her out and spend time with me with me alone for any length of time and I was correct.    I arrived at Ash Villa and rang the front doorbell.  I handed the cake to staff and I was told Elizabeth could not come out even for five minutes to see me and most disturbingly she did not want to speak to me.  I was very concerned as this is out of character and it was as though something had upset her.

I spent the day in Sleaford and decided to call back to the ward later on   I was met with dismissive behaviour by ZB stating that nothing had changed – Elizabth still did not want to speak to me or see me on her Birthday which was really strange as she was excited about my visit the day before but most concerning of all was that no one (either family or friends) could get through to Elizabeth.  She either did not have her phone with her or else the phone battery was dead.  Whatis more no-one could get through from the family/friends for several days thereafter which was really distressing especially as there was supposed to be covid on the ward.    I went back to the car as all I wanted to do was to hand her the presents for just 2 minutes which I did not just want to leave with staff.    Not even two minutes was she allowed to come out.

I then went back to the front door and rang the bell and said I would wait in the car park as I wanted to hand the presents and then leave –  when I did this I was threatened with Police and said they had called Police on me who were on their way.  When the Police arrived at the ward  I had moved my car elsewhere.  I could not believe their actions to waste Police time in this manner.     I was not constantly knocking on the ward door, swearing, or threatening staff – far from it.  Obviously I was upset but not acting in an intimidating manner apart from saying I would stay in my car all night and then just hand the presents when she felt better.   I had moved my car.

I then called the Police as I was worried about my daughter’s welfare and asked them to do a welfare check on her but they were not allowed in –  there was supposed to be covid on the ward, the excuse for a ban on visits.

What was so concerning was that it was at least four days later that anyone from the family could get through to Elizabeth who claimed she was not feeling very well on her Birthday but still all of this was out of character not to hear from her for around four days and everyone was so concerned and all we got was excuses that she did not want to speak to anyone.   When finally I got to speak to Elizabeth she did not even know I had brought her a card and presents.  They had just been dumped in a locker room like rubbish.     I then complained about this to Sabrina, deputy ward manager, who told me that Elizabeth never asked for the presents but how could she when she would not have known about them.  It was very upsetting and I got the phone slammed down on me which has not been the first time.

It is justified under Ash Villa (Lincolnshire Partnership Trust) that staff should put the phone down when they see fit and that there is only one point of contact under Ash Villa but you cannot even get through on the ward phone at times which points to staff shortages.

Further to the above:

Elizabeth was advised by a nurse that the tests had already been done on the Limbic System but this is clearly not true. No tests have been carried out and yet Elizabeth must have asked regarding such tests. They are obviously being denied to her so I have written to all her advocates. This points to discrimination and denial of a vulnerable patient’s wishes. Elizabeth told me she had asked re the tests. This hospital Ash Villa could not care less and the examples below are all related to how a parent/carer is treated and if this is how a parent/carer is treated if they dare to challenge in any tiny way what is going on which is clearly in breach of human rights and MHA law then this is clearly a safeguarding issue and I have requested this to be looked into by Adults Social Services. I am only too happy for safeguarding to be done on me but in this case I think there needs to be a Section 42 meeting as there is clearly breach of the law on their part.

From ZB
Sent: 29 March 2022 11:06
To: susan bevis
Subject: RE: THE BOLITHO CASE

Good morning Susan

Thank you for your emails.

Whilst I understand your frustration having been advised we could do the tests unfortunately Elizabeth has not given the doctors consent to the bloods to be taken.
I’m sure you can appreciate that the doctors need the consent from Elizabeth directly.

As for Dr Shahpesandy study this is something you can discuss with him further on Friday when you have your meeting.

As far as I am aware No section 17 will be granted for leave to see the ducks and swimming, again this is something you can speak with Dr Shahpesandy about on Friday.

I will ask Elizabeth about her underwear and if she has enough and feed back to you.

Kind regards

Z B
Carer Champion
Ash Villa
Sleaford
NG34 8QA

From: susan bevis

Sent: 29 March 2022 10:34
To: ZB
Subject: THE BOLITHO CASE

Dear Zoe

If it is not possible for Elizabeth to take part in the study on Limbic system please can you enquire via Dr Shahpesandy as to how he managed to do the study on the 51 year old admitted with acute psychosis who turned out to have inflammation in the temporal zones caused by some problem in the Limbic system.

I am just querying this as it has come to my attention he too had been put on Clopixol for his psychotic symptoms that were in fact as a result of the inflammation of the brain – please note the Bolitho Case.

I would like to confirm with you as to whether S17 leave can be granted to show Lynsey the canal with all the ducks and birds or maybe to come swimming. If not please supply the reason for his concerns regarding me under S26 MHA.

I bought Elizabeth some more underwear. Elizabeth says staff have taken the this away and I am wondering if this has been thrown away or has this been handed back to her. I am entitled to know because I bought the underwear and would need to know so that I can supply more.

Also I have not heard anything from sophie and Sarah from the MHA Office regarding the Manager’s Hearing. Please advise when this is. I am having to copy in others as this is most relevant and they need to be informed about the Manager’s Hearing.

Regards

Susan Bevis
Mother, Nearest Relative, POA and McKenzie friend

From ZB

Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2022 11:24:15 AM
To: susan bevis <
Subject: RE: Elizabeth’s PHONE

Hi Susan

I have just spoken to the doctor and he has advised that No section 17 leave off hospital grounds will be granted at this time.

Kind regards

ZB

Carer Champion

Ash Villa

Sleaford

NG34 8QA

From: susan bevis
Sent: 24 March 2022 10:34
To: ZB
Subject: Re: ELIZABETH’S PHONE

Dear Z

Phone cut out reception not good here.

My main question is can Elizabeth have some leave?

Regards

Susan Bevis

Get Outlook for iOS

From: ZB

Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2022 11:46:19 AM
To: susan bevis <
Subject: RE: Elizabeth’s PHONE

Hi Susan

As advised I have spoken to Elizabeth and her wishes was for the phone to stay in the locker.

If at any time Elizabeth changes her mind staff will facilitate.

Kind regards

ZB

Carer Champion

Ash Villa

Sleaford

NG34 8QA

From: susan bevis <

Sent: 22 March 2022 11:40
To: ZB

Subject: RE:  Elizabeth’s PHONE

Hi Z

Please pass the phone to my daughter and say that her family wish to speak to her to wish her good luck for today.

Thank you.

Regards

Susan Bevis

Sent from Mail for Windows

From: ZB

To: susan bevis
Subject: RE: Elizabeth’s PHONE

Good morning susan

I have been down to see Elizabeth and her phone is in her locker.

I have been to Elizabeth and asked if she would like it and she asked that I Leave it in the locker.

If you need anything else don’t hesitate to let me know.

Carer Champion

Ash Villa

Sleaford

NG34 8QA

From: susan bevis < Sent: 22 March 2022 09:40
To: ZB

Subject: Elizabeth’s PHONE

Dear Z

I cannot get through to Elizabeth on the phone and wondered if  Elizabeth had her phone with her or if it is in the office.    She may well be asleep.  I wanted to wish her good luck for the Tribunal.   Whilst there have been times that Elizabeth has wished for my attendance this has not been allowed but nonetheless if I am excluded from the Tribunal I would like to wish her all the best for this afternoon.

Elizabeth told me on Sunday that she was prepared to take the drug Clopixol and engage with the MH team so hopefully this will go well.   There were no problems previously in the former area and she was discharged without CTO and took the depot without problems but this time instead of a noisy flat where murders occurred in the immediate vicinity I am providing the right environment.

As you can appreciate we pay for a contract on her phone and we need to know she has her phone with her and to hear from her personally that she is well not third party.

I look forward to hearing from you prior to the Tribunal today with the link or explanation why I have been excluded which would be against Elizabeth’s wishes as per my visit on Sunday.

Regards

Susan Bevis

SPECIAL DELIVERY

LETTER FROM ALISON BARTLE

WARD MANAGER

Adult Inpatient   Ash Villa

Willoughby Road   Greylees

SLEAFORD    Lincs

NG34 8QA

AIP/AB/LJCA

10 March 2022

Dear Mrs Bevis

I am aware there has been some challenges with visits and contact with your daughter and following consultation with the multi disciplinary team I am writing to you to outline our concerns and expectations.  I am referring specifically to your rudeness on the phones and the rudeness and intimidation whilst on site at AshVilla.

This Trust is firmly of the view that anyone working in or being treated on our wards does not have to be subject to or witness to rude or intimidating behaviour.  You may be aware that on three separate occasions staff have considered your behaviour to be so rude or intimidating.  This has resulted in Police having been notified.  Whilst I understand having a family member in a health care setting is stressful to act in the manner you have is unacceptable therefore I must ask you to stop any rudeness or intimidating behaviour in the future.

In addition to this request my staff have been instructed to terminate any calls they receive when the caller is rude or abusive and to call the Police if they consider there is a breech of the peace or other such behaviours in the grounds of Ash Villa.

I would also like to advise you that any planned outings with your daughter will have to be pre-approved and agreed prior to the outing taking place.  This would require section 17 leave to be approved by the Responsible Clinician.

Visits to the ward can be planned and limited to one hour due to Covid visiting restrictions, these should be booked in advance, staff will be present outside of the visiting room and if your behaviour is rude or intimidating you will be asked to leave.

I understand it must be difficult to receive this letter, but I do hope you acknowledge it and manage your behaviours better in the future.  If you think our services or responses fall short of your expectations you can of course complain to the Trust using the following address:

Patient Experience Team

Lincolnshire Partnership NHSD Foundation Trust

Unit 9   The Point

Lions Way

Sleaford  Lincs   NG34 8GG

Chair:  Paul Devlin

Chief Executive Brendan Hayes

A WITNESS TO MY CALLS ALLEGED TO BE ABUSIVE

From: Gh < @gmail.com>
Date: 14 March 2022 at 11:27:58 GMT
To: alison.bartle1@nhs.net
Cc: lpft.patientexperience@nhs.net
Subject: Letter from Alison Bartle to Susan Bevis

I have read the letter from yourself to Susan Bevis and would totally refute the allegations of rudeness or threatening behaviour by Susan Bevis.
I myself have witnessed such calls as I have been in the same room as Susan makes the calls.   I am also aware of the awful occasion on Elizabeth’s birthday and having spoken to her direct how she was looking forward to receiving her birthday cake.

Several friends and family in addition to myself spoke to Elizabeth prior to her birthday and were given the same impression. It seems to have been out of character for her to not want contact.

I am witness to Elizabeth’s care over many years and have to say this has been the most restrictive to date.

In every ward round interview Elizabeth has been asked where she wants to live. She constantly says she wants to come home. We are working on providing her own safe self contained and peaceful accommodation. No way should she still be kept at Ash Villa but staff should be working towards providing care in the community.
I wish this email to be included in any complaints procedures as I would back Susan Bevis in stating that no threats have been made against members of staff, and that current restrictions are wrong, unhelpful and a backward step in Elizabeth’s care. Indeed I would say that both myself and family members have stated that it has been staff that have been rude and dismissive. Have staff been told not to give information, perhaps they are bullied by senior staff.

When we initially moved to Lincolnshire, Susan did all in her power to put medication injections in place for her care to continue. This included notifying the new GP and a trip to A&E even contacting a pharmaceutical professor at Lincoln university to see if he could help.

The ward round recently appeared to be a deliberate attempt to stop us attending.
A reply to this email is not required but please ensure it is included in any complaints procedure.

GH

1 comment
  1. Further to the above:

From ZB
    Sent: 29 March 2022 11:06
    To: susan bevis
    Subject: RE: THE BOLITHO CASE

Good morning Susan

Thank you for your emails.

Kind regards