MEDS UNDER CYGNET HEALTHCARE

8 years trapped in cygnet             Elizabeth has been under two Cygnet Healthcares – one in Cygnet Stevenage and one that is supposed to be the flagship in Beckton.  I have been to their conference at the Royal College of GPs and I went with someone I know who has a brother in this expensive private hospital who wishes to be transferred elsewhere.   I was extremely interested in the conference which was very well organised and took part in a workshop called “least restrictive care” –  well I had to say what I thought –  Elizabeth thought it was like prison and I could not disagree with this description.

Most disturbingly, drugs are given at enormous levels to some patients. I list below the drugs given to the young person photographed above who has given her permission for her case to be made public as she would like to leave Cygnet and be nearer her grandmother and I have evidence of this.  Elizabeth was on the same ward at Cygnet Stevenage and then this young lady featured was transferred hundreds of miles away to Derby just like Elizabeth was tranferred to Cambian in Wales.  Elizabeth had the drugs increased to 20mg of Aripiprazole at Cygnet Stevenage – a drug I had to report for adverse reactions – Yellow Card.  She was unstable when she came home.

However, even more disturbing is the huge level of drugs given to patients who may not have a regular visitor – who become stuck under “care” in a system rotten to the core where there is no accountability.  I therefore feel it is very important to speak out and reveal what one young person, who has been stuck in Cygnet for 8 years, is receiving in terms of shocking “care”.  The question is just how many other patients are being given drugs at this enormous level against all guidelines.  There needs to be a full enquiry into this.  Why isn’t there any accountability for treatment such as this?  What I am documenting is a real case of someone who is desperate to be released from a never ending prison sentence and has done nothing wrong under the care of Cygnet private hospital DERBY.  What kind of Doctor prescribes at such huge levels against all guidelines to a young person who is kept a virtual prisoner.  How many more are being treated in this way whilst the Government does nothing.  Who is responsible for this abuse?   Who is paying for it?” –  which Local Authority or Trust is responsible?  Well I have since found out it is Special Commissioning NHS England so I believe.  I hope that something will be done urgently about this as lives are at risk –  are there any more cases like this on the ward?   To think that this is “care” in the UK.   It’s not about stigma –  this is abuse.    Any more cases like this – please contact me.  I shall keep you all informed as I’m in touch with lots of other similar cases.

Regular Medication:

Sertraline 200mg mane; Depakote 750mg BD; Mebeverine MR 200MG BD; Metformine 1G bd; Atorvastatin 40mg OD; Omeprazole 20mg mane;  Furosemide 50mg mane; Dapaglifozin 10mg mane; Diazepam 5mg TDS; Colecalciferol T OM; Kwells 300mg TDS; Clozapine 225mg BD .

PRM Medication:

Ibrufen 200-400mg up to QDs; Epipen 0.3mg up to 0.9mg; Cyclizine tab 50mg up to 150mg;  Procyclidine 5mg PO max in 24 hrs 10 mg; Olanzapine 2.5-5mg max 200mg (PRN + regular); Promethazine 25-50mg max dose 100mg in 24 hrs;  Salbutamol 100mcg; Glucogel/Glucsgon T; Corsodyl ; Lactulose;  Stat dose of Clopizol Acuphase given on 3 occasions since admission – forcibly injected.

Estimated stay at Cygnet 2 – 3 years but this young person has been in there 8 years.

As Inspector Brown (Mental Health Cop says – “what the hell is going on”  Cygnet are making huge profits by drugging up vulnerable patients who they think do not have anyone who cares for them.

A Life has been lost on the ward in question – now in touch with the mother.

Are they trying to kill their patients – what kind of doctors prescribe this amount of drugs concomitantly.   Cygnet – what’s your answer to this – lets hear it on Twitter!

Here is a response from someone who is an expert on the drugs:

“This is an even more ridiculous dosing regimen than I have ever seen.  SSRI’s with atypicals are totally rejected in the Maudsley prescribing guide and Mimms.  Benzodiazepams, SSRIs and Atypicals even more idiotic.  What is the procyclidine for?  there are no neuroplectics in that list that justify an anti-parkinsonian agent.  This dosing regimen is utterly ridiculous and very dangerous.”

Are all patients under Cygnet under this huge level of drugs.  Questions need to be asked before yet another life is lost on this ward.  There has already been one death so I heard.

Any National Newspapers interested in documenting the widespread abuse of vulnerable people in the UK please do contact me.

Advertisements
14 comments
  1. sbev2013 said:

Wow that is a hell of a lot of drugs – what are Cygnet doing!

2. There is no central check on medications, medications are often prescribed off label, drug trials, in any event are rigged in favour of drug companies who pay for them, and the conferences, papers and the PR that promote them.

The Pharma Industry is the UK’s third largest, so literally keeping our economy going.

There is no independence in the system, as the prescribing psychiatrists are employed by Cygnet and under regular appraisals and strict Codes of Conduct.

Coroners rarely investigate the role that drugs play in the deaths of those subject to medication.

And all this is a scandal.

3. Julie said:

Shaking looking at that list of meds! Please read this article at your earliest convenience:
    I was misdiagnosed by several psychiatrists and prescribed dangerous antipsychotics, SSRIs, anti-anxiety meds, etc.; all caused much visible harm.

This part of the article is particularly concerning:
    “Parkinson-like symptoms are a common side effect of the antipsychotics prescribed to many adults with autism. In his study, Starkstein found that certain people with autism are particularly sensitive to these drugs, developing problems such as tremors almost immediately and at doses normally too low to cause side effects.”

We can’t be sure that Elizabeth is not on the spectrum (Asperger’s), and I’m worried about her long-term health.

• sbev2013 said:

I am very sorry to hear about your shocking experience. The more I look into things there are more and more terrible cases of young vulnerable people locked away for many years and kept away from their families and drugged. We have had Elizabeth sent as far away as Wales whilst every attempt was made to destroy relationship with me as a mother and to take control of my daughter’s life. Well there head office was just up the road to me do I was able to call in more than once. Anyway we have had a hell of a time this year and Elizabeth has done a tour of at least four London institutions whilst drug free but sadly is back on a small portion of drugs now but at least she is not in “hospital” where abuse is rife whether public or private and is out in the community. This gives me the wonderful opportunity to focus on other even more shocking cases of abuse in the Uk. The case I am currently talking about is real – a young person trapped in a rotten abusive system. This young person has been incarcerated 8 years and has a grandmother who really cares and would like her to be moved to a very nice hospital situated nearby to her as she is a very long way away. This huge quantity of drugs needs to be investigated and I am only too pleased to back this relative and I would like this whole thing investigated at top government level. What lengths do you have to go to in order to get help. Well I have found twitter to be extremely helpful as whoever is paying for this wrong care needs to be identified in my opinion and lessons learned – the drugs are prescribed at dangerous levels and if the responsible clinician does not do something and seek expert advice on reduction then the need to be made accountable int opinion. Also any hospital managers and social workers likewise need to be made accountable – I have seen there have been deaths at the hospital and branch concerned – this is why something must b done about this most shocking case and how many more cases are there I wonder.

• Thank you for this, as the main treatment for ASD has been Respiridol Antipsych from as young as 8/9, like my daughter, so this is doubling shocking and ASD can’t/don’t communicate well so can’t express side effects .

Will put Art in my blog if that’s OK

Best Wishes, Finola Moss

• sbev2013 said:

But I have looked this chemical up – only licensed for schizophrenia and bi polar. They’ve put her on this chemical at 2mg a day. She has ballooned in weight – they are providing no counselling and right now Elizabeth is upset at having her phone stolen by another resident at her scheme. Contract and phone belongs to me but we never got the camera phone back from Huntercombe – so I’ve been busy today sorting this out and as the phone was stolen in the kitchen that is common parts so this needs to b dealt with through the respective ins company’s. I agree with you re communication difficulties but it is infuriating to read stigmatising ignorant comments from members of the team who state low intelligence and ignore recent assessment by Huntercombe – high functioning ASD but Elizabeth has settled down – before that she said “no one understands me Mum – and that is because she is being treated wrongly and they are not specialists in asd – and clueless. Neither are they specialists for ptsd as Elizabeth suffered extensive abuse under care which they tried but failed to cover up. Shame on you team.

• They are using it off label it is licensed for short term ie 3 month use for severe behaviour I THINK. They are all prescribing as many drugs in whatever amount they want as there are no rules only NICE guidelines which they can ignore As we have seen there is no accountability even for deaths which are increasing and they don’t even know the actual numbers even DOH NHSENGLAND DON’T AND DON’T APPEAR TO WANT TO KNOW

4. Millie said:

I would be happy anytime to help regarding complaints relating to the appalling care provided on Suffolk Ward.
    I’ve been subject to months of physical and verbal abuse.

• sbev2013 said:

Sadly you are not alone. I am sad to hear of the abuse you have received. You get absolutely nowhere complaining. I admire you for speaking out about this and would add that they investigate themselves and have drugged my daughter enormously so she could not speak about her experience – a group of highly paid people at the top CE0 level who do nothing and couldn’t care less. Just had another response from Maria Kane trying to ignore the truth . The way they cover up abuse is cowardly and negligent. You can be sure I shall attend more meetings as this is the only way you get real response as no one can you ignore you even if they want to. Had a great time at the AGM and good to meet some of those responsible for quality and care. There will never ever b quality in Enfield as we have encountered bullying. The way forward is open dialogue.

• sbev2013 said:

Thank you – why don’t you come along and meet others I am in touch with – all of them have had bad experiences and we meet every two weeks.

5. Jennifer said:

This girl is being abused.I have seen the before and after pictures and she was quoted to say something along the lines of ‘I will be leaving here in a body bag’She is 24!Has she committed a violent/sadistic crime??I don’t think so.Large amounts on money will have been spent to keep her in Cygnet.Its not cheap!I was shocks when I read this and saw the pictures.She looks pale obese and disabled.

• sbev2013 said:

Thank you for your comments. My daughter Elizabeth has been at beckton and Stevenage – she came out unstable at Stevenage due to them doubling the dosage of drugs just prior to release. This is a real case – someone inprisoned in the system 8 years due to dispute over NR and left to go downhill to the point of giving up – you have to weigh up the risks in this situation and I along with others are witness to the fact she wants to be near to her grandma – on this level of drugs questions need to be asked how on earth can such accountability be allowed to go on for so long. Well we as a family have encountered this ourselves. Elizabeth has also been on huge levels of drugs concommitantly prescribed under our local hospital. How many more cases like this – how many more cases of vulnerable people being abused under a state evil system of control. It is not being publicised in the press. Sadly I am in touch with lots of cases like this and this should not b allowed to go on in a so called democratic country and it costs circa £12500 pw for such facilities worse than prison. Elizabeth was sent to Huntercombe where they at least assessed and diagnosed her but she was sent primarily to get her back on drugs because she kept ending up back on the ward after 15 weeks of “care” watching everyone else’s distress at being forcibly drugged then just dumped into the community . They’ve done it again – dumped her back in a scheme on a small portion now of Rispiriedon . Huntercombe diagnosed high functioning aspergers – Enfield diagnosed emotionally unstable pd and paranoid schizophrenia when in fact off the drugs she started to speak about what happened to her under care. Daughter has ptsd and doctors and other professionals can easily manipulate the system and the courts take their side – completely wrong and I have never suffered so my bullying in all my life and you should see what they write behind your backs without even having met you. This is a real case that could highlight others trapped in the system and I am only too happy to reveal this and the fact I’m in touch with plenty of other shocking cases too – shame on the Government of the Uk. My praise goes to HRH Prince Harry who speaks so correctly as regards less drugs.

• jillionsing said:

Sadly since the photo on the right was taken she has deteriorated shockingly. I am HEARTBROKEN to see how she is suffering. It is TORTURE. I am so DISGUSTED by the lack of care shown to her by her so called “care providers.”

• sbev2013 said:

Questions need to be asked by everyone how on earth it is possible for a vulnerable person who is a citizen of a so called “democratic” country can end up 8 years in such a facility tonthe point of deterioration and lack of hope – well in my opinion something needs to be done. Just look at all those drugs and centre of attention should be given to the providers and commissioners – special commission nh England – did I hear it is through sw spec commissioning – an Andy jones. Please correct me if I’m wrong. Where are the social workers who are supposed to help – it seems that everyone is doing nothing – I am in touch with lots of other cases too. You are far from alone but 8 years on all these dangerous chemicals – who is the doctor – the respons clinician? Who is the ward manager? Why the hell cant She be transferred nearer to you. I’m pleased that you set up a petition and am only too happy to support it.