This is my 2nd blog.  

My daughter is still stuck on the acute ward she calls “prison”.   Still no news of when she will be transferred to a more specialised hospital and the hospital have been told to chase this up in two weeks time.   Meanwhile my daughter is inviting all the other patients to join her! 

I am now going back over time to look at the diastrous/dreadful care given to my daughter under the local NHS Trust which has led to her serious decline.

In the first instance, she was put on anti-depressants (Cipralix) by her GP but this did not work and made her skin itchy which led to her scratching her face and causing scars.   She had a job around this time which did not work out for her but then seemed to have no thinking ability once on these drugs.

The anti-depressant above also led to aggression and behaviour was at timesvery strange.   Anyway, my daughter was suffering more and more side effects including headaches that she decided to take herself off the , I would not advise anyone to do this without medical assistance.   At the time I knew very little about medications and trusted the doctors but I did look up the side effects of this drug but at the same time, supported my daughter’s decision.    She had been given a “once in a lifetime” opportunity to go abroad and work as a “companion” to a friend of a friend and she was at the same time placed on a waiting list to see the community mental health team and she had been waiting for months on end for this – suddenly the team were interested now that this opportunity had come about.   They highly recommended the trip abroad and diagnosed her with “nothing wrong” and felt her problems were within the home environment when in fact I had discovered shocking emails that indicated abuse – nothing to do with the family.  So, the trip went ahead, despite me having reservations and begging for them to keep her in under observation as I did not want anything to go wrong.   This was ignored by the team who refused to admit her under observation into hospital before the trip.    Anyway the trip abroad was a disaster and had to be rearranged as she missed the flight and then she was back within a week – lost luggage and money and not in a good state of mind. She was living at home at the time but other members of the family were at risk from such behaviour.    She was diagnosed with  Treatment Team) were involved but soon reduced their visits to the home.   At last she got the placement within the day hospital.  I thought that this would be good for her as I worked part time at the time and could not be at home with her all the time and was worried about the house as she had left gas on and gone out and left the front door wide open.   Key after key had been lost – once her entire handbag and other possessions besides.

Transport was arranged to pick her up to take her to the day hospital because of my concerns of her vulnerability.   I visited the day hospital and was shocked to see patients just sitting around with little to do and so many activities cancelled for one reason or another.   She was appointed a care coordinator within the hospital and I had been desperately tried to get her some kind of part time job/something to do outside of the mental  health but then along came social services and the hospital “care” which I soon found out to be dreadfully lacking.   Of course sitting around with other people with not much to do led to boredom and when another patient invitied my daughter out for the day to the coast she jumped at the chance.   The patient turned out to be someone on the wards who was allowed to mix freely and described in the files as a “predatory male” who “should have been escorted everywhere”.   This led to my daughter going missing all evening and requests received for money for her safe return and police being involved in trying to find her.  Of course even worse came to light after her disappearance but this was part of my complaint that they had failed to look after someone who was on the police vulnerable person’s list and a patient who should have been closely monitored who was much older and streetwise and all of this led to a shocking outcome.   At the day hospital my daughter was seen by a psychiatrist who prescribed her with Rispiridon which she did not get on with.   She was soon to be prescribed with Aripraprasol on which I thought she had developed an eating disorder (bullimia).   This dreadful medication caused my daughter to feel awful as did the Rispiridon which caused excessive weight gain – she begged to come off the Aripraprazol too and I supported her as I was so concerned to see the effects of this dreadful medication. Whilst at the day centre she had a care coordinator who herself came in crying her eyes out at work because of “marriage problems” according to my daughter and this led to her being off for weeks and weeks on end.   This led to the decline in care and nothing much being offered for my daughter to do and move on with  her life.   Noone wanted to take responsibility in the team for my daughter when she went missing stating she was entitled to do whatever she wanted as she was a voluntary patient and they could not stop her.   There was no apology and no support from the team about the dreadful incidents occurring whilst she had disappeared which led to me visiting 2 firms of solicitors as the Healthcare Commission had described the care as “satisfactory” however the Chief Executive of the Trust was forced to back down on her claims that the care was “excellent” and forced to be nicer in the way she responded to me in correspondence which was extremely dismissive.   The result of the findings of two separate firms of solicitors were that the mental health trust was “negligent” and “failed in their duty of care”.  This shows that the findings of the Healthcare Commission at the time were simply not correct because on each occasion my daughter was there in person to see the solicitors and tell them in her own words what happened as I wanted decent care and the team to listen.   Things did not go to court – one firm did not offer legal aid and the other said the amount of compensation that would have been offered would be less than than costs and I was left with little hope of success and felt more harm would be done to my daughter in the circumstances.   This incident duly led to my daughter not being able to go to the local mental health facility group she attended because the manager showed concern that she was at risk through further incidents occurring within that environment.    So, I felt I had to pull her out of the day hospital and the other group she attended elsewhere as a result of everything so suddenly my daughter was at home coming off medication with no support, no help – nothing from this uncaring team.   The hospital had washed their hands and the social services were hopeless and uncaring.   I did not want her to have a care coordinator who herself had huge personal problems who had been off for weeks on end and suddenly returned to work.   I wanted her transferred to the team of my father where there were good social workers who listened but the team said this was not possible – in other words no choice.    The only good thing about the hospital was the social group run by an ex patient who used to pick my daughter up in the evening and take her home after various social events/evenings with a group of other mental ill people but decent people – I was so happy that she was in nice company.   Once leaving the day  hospital these social outings came to an end and there was nothing to do and only myself to try to get things put in place.  It was as though the team had just washed their hands of her.

Anyway she was no nil medication and doing well but then a night out at a theatre changed all of that.   Something triggered her off and then came the behavior that I could not cope with but because of what had happened I took h er in the car to another nearby mental health trust as I did not feel she was safe under the local one.  I will not go into detail what  happened on arrival but she got admitted there and I felt this was good



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: